[time-nuts] NIST time services

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 13:37:13 EDT 2014

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Paul <tic-toc at bodosom.net> wrote:

> E.g. FSM says their NTP+PTP "servers" perform equally well using either
> protocol.  The trick is to use optimized NTP software and timestamping
> hardware.

Yes.  If you modify NTP so that is does the same thing as PTP then it
will as good as PTP.  That should be obvious.

NTP is modular and it is easy to write a new reference clock driver.
So if I had time stamping network hardware, I'd want an NTP driver for
it and would use it.  But most network hardware lacks the feature.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California