[time-nuts] NTP and Windows 7

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Mar 27 16:06:32 EDT 2014

martin.burnicki at burnicki.net said:
> Please note under Windows you should configure all upstream servers with  a
> line reading

> server aa.bb.cc.dd iburst minpoll 6 maxpoll 6

There are lots of times when reducing maxpoll is reasonable, but I think an
unqualified suggestion is not appropriate.

maxpoll of 6 polls every 64 seconds.  The default maxpoll is 10, or 1024
seconds, so that's a 16x[1] increased load on the servers.  Some/many people
would consider that to be abusive use of a resource.

If you are using your servers, you can do whatever you want.  If you are
using your ISP's servers or a friends, then whatever they agree to is fine.
The NIST servers are already heavily/over loaded.  I'm not sure if the pool
could stand a 16x increase in load.

How many other countries run "official" NTP servers, and how heavily are they
loaded?

------

1)  It's not actually 16x because there is the ramp up time and ntpd
automatically ramps down when it thinks it needs to.  The latter often
happens if the temperture/load changes.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.