[time-nuts] NTP and Windows 7

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 00:19:00 EDT 2014

One question. Why is this system running Microsoft Windows?

I have the same D525.  I've had both Linux and BSD on it.  I eventually
settled on BSD and performance is very good. Windows is a bit sluggish on
Atom.   I was using it as a file/web/NTP server. At first I was not getting
acceptable performance then found out he built-in Ethernet controller is
poor.  I installed an Intel card and then was able to get "wire speed" on a
gigabit Ethernet.  The NTP server ran flawlessly.   Night and day better
performance after upgrading the Ethernet.

In an effort ton reduce power even more I've moved to an ARM based system.

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 8:55 PM, nuts <nuts at lazygranch.com> wrote:

> If this is for me, the Atom has 4Gbytes and has always run win7pro 64
> bit. The NTP is via Meinberg. The Atom is dual core. D525.
>

> On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 00:41:01 -0700
> "DaveH" <info at blackmountainforge.com> wrote:
>
> > How much RAM?
> >
> > Was this system originally running WinXP and has been upgraded to
> > Win7 or is this a new system.
> >
> > I am thinking of something very specific.
> >
> > Dave

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California