[time-nuts] Low cost GPS module for < 100ns timestamping error

Tony tnuts at toneh.demon.co.uk
Fri May 2 21:36:43 EDT 2014

On 03/05/2014 00:48, Hal Murray wrote:
> tnuts at toneh.demon.co.uk said:
>> Can anyone  point to figures for a typical non-TXCO low cost
>> oscillator, 10
>> or 16MHz?
> In general, low cost oscillators make pretty good thermometers.

True, but it's short term stability that matters here - over 10s of
seconds the temperature shouldn't change much - especially if a bit of
insulation is used around the oscillator.

> I think you have a much better chance of getting good results if you are
> willing to post-process the data.

I'm not sure I understand this - I need to record the time that an event
occurs so I need an accurate time reference. What can I store to
post-process? The time reference drift and jitter relative to the local
oscillator before and after the event?

> I suggest you get one of the GPS units you are considering and collect
> some
> data.  That will answer many of your questions and probably raise a
> few more.
Well yes, but that will cost time and money - I was hoping to get some
recommendations/suggestions from people who have some experience with
low cost GPS modules, so as to narrow the field down a bit before
experimenting myself.

Thanks, Tony