[time-nuts] SRS FS700 questions

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Sat May 3 12:57:32 EDT 2014

My FS700 arrived yesterday, complete with bonus artistic  effects due to
the sender believing a thin coat of bubble wrap  with an outer layer of
cardboard cut from a box and just taped on top,  no padding or air gap, would be
the obvious way to ship  it:-(

Physically at least it seems to have survived remarkably well, no damage to
 the BNCs and the front panel trim, outer covers and transformer cover all
looking pretty good again after a couple of hours work.
Not having any rack ears attached was probably quite a bonus with it
shipped like this!
The only obvious internal "damage", and it might have been that way before
shipping anway, are three vertical inductors held to the circuit board by
silicon rubber or hot melt adhesive that are loose but still seem to be
electrically connected

Anyway, it powered up ok and is indicating it's locked onto Anthorn in the
Lessay chain, even if it does believe it's found the never built station at
Loop  Head in Ireland:-), but I'm not sure if it's functioning properly.

It's close enough that I don't want to start pulling it apart for the sake
of it without being sure, and it may just be a case of waiting for it to
settle,  but after showing as "locked" for several hours the 10MHz output, as
indicated  both by the internal display and an external counter, is swinging
back and  forth quite rapidly anywhere within approx +/- 3 parts in  10^9.
There was an obvious change in the crystal oscillator frequency as the oven
 warmed, and another when the conditioning seemed to take over, but it's
been  "hunting" like this ever since it first indicated lock and with no
obvious  change, just when I do think it might be converging it "opens up"  again.

So first question is, can anyone tell me please if this is "normal" or
close enough that I should expect it to settle eventually, or do I need to
start  investigating further?

Second question, could somebody confirm please whether or not the LCD
display is supposed to be backlit?
This one isn't, but it's not immediately obvious from photos I've found
online whether or not it should be, and although the contrast range on  this
seems to be fine it's certainly not easy to see.

Last question, for now at least:-), this unit has the FS800 PCB rev C, with
 revision 2.0 firmware, does anyone know if any later firmware is available
that  includes Anthorn, or at least Rugby, as part of the Lessay chain?

Regards

Nigel
GM8PZR