[time-nuts] HP5334A Option 010 replacement connector J8

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed May 21 22:02:16 EDT 2014

I was the Project Manager for the 5334B.
The A version (unlike the B version) has
a very weak power supply due to insufficient
capacitors and/or transformer.  I can't
remember now after 25 years.  When you
power it up with a cold 10544 or 10811, the
oven circuit looks like a 47 ohm resistor.
The 5334A can only muster 12V into this load.
This is way below the 20V minimum operating
voltage.  However, the 10811 turns out to
work well enough on 12V to get the oven warmed
up.  Once the oven current cuts back, the
voltage will zoom up to something like 24V,
being unregulated.  This passes for "normal"
in the 5334A design.  So do not be alarmed
by this behavior if you are trying to do a
sanity check.

Rick Karlquist N6RK