[time-nuts] Looking for a particular OCXO....

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon May 26 18:25:50 EDT 2014

Hi

On May 26, 2014, at 5:54 PM, Brian, WA1ZMS <wa1zms at att.net> wrote:

> My high-spec ULN Wenzels have trimmers.

I doubt that HP has put a trimmer OCOX  into a new design since the 10811 was new. The Wentzel ULN’s are *not* high volume parts.

> This this thing is 16Hz high at 10MHz so it's way off.

16 Hz is 1.6 ppm. That’s not really all that far. If the oven failed it would be much farther off

>  Must be sudden failure. If I use an external ref the test set is fine. OK for lab use. But a pain when out working in the field on ham repeaters. It may be an OEM number.  At work we noticed quite a change in PTI product lines after MTron bought them.

Renumbering all the products is what keeps the marketing guys employed…

> -Brian, WA1ZMS/4
> iPhone
>
>> On May 26, 2014, at 5:15 PM, Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>>> On May 26, 2014, at 4:31 PM, Brian, WA1ZMS <wa1zms at att.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am trying to repair my HP-8920 RF Com test set since its internal
>>>
>>> 10MHz OCXO has aged way beyond the DAC EFC cal range.
>>
>> How far out is it?
>>
>>> (There
>>>
>>> is no trimmer cap to allow adjustment.)
>>
>> Trimmer caps went out a long time ago on OCXO's
>>>

>>> The OCXO is 10MHz and is marked PTI XO1145.
>>
>> It’s probably an OEM part number
>>>
>>> PTI no longer lists nor seems to sell this OCXO.
>>
>> They likely only sold that part to HP
>>

>>> Has anyone seen or have a replacement OCXO or already been
>>>
>>> done this path before?  I hate to re-invent the wheel.
>>>
>>> I can buy a used A15 ref module but I still may end up with one
>>>
>>> that has an OCXO that's out of cal range.
>>>

>>> Reply off-list is fine.

which takes all the fun out of it