[time-nuts] cheap GPS receiver (NavSpark) with timestamp feature

beale beale at bealecorner.com
Fri May 30 20:23:26 EDT 2014

It seems there is some interest in an inexpensive GPS receiver with a timestamp feature.

As far as I know, the recently released NavSpark ( http://navspark.mybigcommerce.com/ )
may be the least expensive such device available. It was a crowd-funded effort from an established small GNSS design
house in Taiwan (Skytraq).  Recently I received some of the first of these items. It is programmable using a modified
"Arduino" type development environment, and uses a 32-bit CPU (LEON3 Sparc-V8) for baseband processing with a
3rd party L1 receiver section (Skyworks SE4150L).

The 1PPS output signal has a granularity of 10 ns, but the input signal timestamp feature is ~60 ns (GPS model with
16.368MHz clock) or ~40 ns (GPS + GLONASS model with 24.552MHz clock).  I only just tested the demo timestamp
code on a GPS model this morning, and it works mostly as expected, generating timestamps (text output on one of
two UARTS) based on 1PPS input from a not-calibrated OCXO I had lying around. At least the millisecond output has
jumps of ~ 60 ns size. The GPS time-of-day conversion seems to have a roundoff problem at the microsecond level.
The NavSpark contains a TCXO of unknown performance, but with the entire unit costing $22 at retail, it's not gold-
plated.

484282681.511417 ms, week #1794 since 1980;  2014-05-30 @ 02:31:06(+0.68151140) PM
484283681.511432 ms, week #1794 since 1980;  2014-05-30 @ 02:31:07(+0.68151140) PM
484284681.511452 ms, week #1794 since 1980;  2014-05-30 @ 02:31:08(+0.68151093) PM