[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361, HP/Symmetricom Z3809A, Z3810A, Z3811A, Z3812A GPSDO system

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Sat Nov 1 00:38:31 EDT 2014

Hi Bob et al,
I don't understand the direction this question about the supercap has taken.  It's connected to pin 1 of the GPS receiver.  It looks to be a UT+, so that's the battery backup power.  According to my UT+ manual the current draw on this pin is between 5uA (at 2.5V) and 100uA (at 5V)?  How many hours will a .022F supercap keep at least 2.5V at that sort of discharge rate?  Unless the cap has gone bad, it seems more likely that Bob's comment about it doing a fast survey and then doing a slower one in the background probably has merit.  In fact, my unit goes through its survey mode pretty quickly on power up.  So do those current/voltage figures imply several hours on the cap?

Bob