[time-nuts] Mercury Ion Clock

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Nov 1 06:42:59 EDT 2014

Hi Bob,

The traditional Hg ion clock with it's 40,5 GHz frequency is doable, but
it would be interesting if it could be commercialized at a (time-nuts)
friendly price.

The modern optical clock got much easier to work with when the frequency
comb was invented. The frequency comb and stable lasers is now
commercialized, but not cheap, not cheap at all.

Cheers,
Magnus

On 11/01/2014 02:27 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> Trapped ion clocks have been the “obvious successor” to a Cs tube for at least 30 years. There is a *lot* of very fancy work involved in getting from 10 MHz up to a very specific light wavelength with low ADEV and good phase noise…..
>
> Rocket science indeed. Time Nuts rocket science, but tough to do none the less.
>
> Bob
>
>> On Oct 31, 2014, at 8:09 PM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Humor aside. I did dig deeper. It seems that this technology could be
>> commercialized in larger volumes and might land in the same cost as a good
>> CS does today. Technically it looks reasonable.
>> Regards
>> Paul
>> WB8TSL
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 1:45 PM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Jim
>>> I am sorry to say thats the wrong clock picture.
>>> That picture is of 2 glass coffee tables and a toaster in between.
>>> I see you can order that art om ebay. Item number 142657nottoday3245
>>> Regards
>>> Paul