[time-nuts] Mercury Ion Clock

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sun Nov 2 19:29:31 EST 2014

On 1 Nov 2014 16:50, "Jim Lux" <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
behind a scintillator)

> The 40 GHz stuff these days is not nearly as exotic as it used to be. The
challenge might be test equipment when you're debugging your 40 GHz
synthesis chain.

There's a fair amount of test equipment around to 40.0 GHz, but it is not
cheap even on the used market. But above 40.0 GHz it gets even more
expensive, as a lot of kit stops there. So a spectrum analyzer that works
to 40.1 GHz is going to cost serious money.

I don't know what ones chances of feeding 10.04 MHz into the 10 MHz
reference input to 40 GHz test equipment to make it work to
40*10.04/10=40.16 GHz. I suspect that you could get away with it.

Dave.