[time-nuts] NPR Story I heard this morning

Mike Feher mfeher at eozinc.com
Mon Nov 3 16:18:19 EST 2014

OK, I am going to show my ignorance now. Being in my 70th year, I forgot an awful lot of what I learned in school.

Anyway, regarding time and gravity, I certainly believe the mathematics of Einstein and others, however, I have a hard time believing that man-made instruments to measure the effects of gravity on time is valid. For example in a Cesium clock, time is a function of the transition time between two hyperfine lines of Cesium atoms. So, does gravity affect this transition time within the Cesium atoms? It may very well, but, I am not smart enough to know that. Maybe someone can help.

Also, when someone mentioned moving a very sensitive scale up in elevation and noting the difference due to gravitational effects, also seems odd to me. Seems like even in the most sensitive scales, weight is measured as the difference between the weighing platform and the body of the instrument. Here again, moving the whole assembly up in elevation it would seem to me that gravity would affect both the platform and the body, and the relative weight indicated should remain the same. What am I missing besides gray matter? Thanks - Mike

Mike B. Feher, EOZ Inc.
89 Arnold Blvd.
Howell, NJ, 07731
732-886-5960 office