[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361 GPSDO arrived today several questions

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Nov 6 07:39:05 EST 2014

Hi

> On Nov 6, 2014, at 3:44 AM, GandalfG8--- via time-nuts <time-nuts at febo.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Paul
>
> Prime question is what are you calling the "slave" unit?
> In normal use Lucent treats the Ref-0 unit as the master and Ref-1 as the
> slave, but it's Ref-1 that contains the GPS module. Bit confusing but if
> you've  got Ref-1 with the GPS module then you're in business:-)
>
> It's turned out the transistor delay circuit isn't needed after all and the
> wiring can be simplified too.
>
> All that's necessary to run the Ref-1 stand alone is to ground pins 2 and 3
> on the J5 interface connector and there's a couple of convenient ground
> pins  already on that connector, 8 and 13.
> In normal use pin3 is tied hard to ground, presumably via direct link from
> the other module, so that can just be a wire link to either pin 8 or 13.
> Pin 2 is normally held at a logic low level so although a direct  ground
> seems to work ok for that too, and no damage noted so far, I prefer to  play
> it safe and ground that one to the other ground pin via a 470ohm resistor,
> which also works fine.
> That's it.
>
> The LEDS should flash at start up, followed by "No GPS" and "Fault" on
> solid whilst the unit goes through acquisition and lock, this can take  an hour
> or so, and then those LEDs should go off and the "On" light should  be
> solid.
> At this point the 15MHz and 1PPS outputs are enabled.
>
> The J8 diagnostics connector is enabled from start up and SatStat can  be
> used to monitor progress.
> The RS422 3 wire fudge suggested by Stu Cobb works fine for me, J8 pin 7 to
> PC 9 way comm port pin 5, J8 pin 8 to comm port pin 3, J8 pin 9 to comm
> port pin  2.

The interface chips are DS75176’s. They will accept a +/- 7V “ground offset” or a -7 to +12 signal and run forever. Absolute max on the inputs is rated as +12 to -10 V. A +/- 5V output RS-232 will work ok. A +/-10 or greater might be a bit much. A fairly common voltage doubler RS-232 chip running on +5.2 would be questionable. Add in a ground offset and things could get a bit more exciting.

The expected logic swing is 2.5 +/- 1.5. That should work fine with a +/- 5V RS-232. If you have a real oddball that puts out +/- 3 V (get a new one …) it could be a problem I suspect that if you have a +/-3V RS-232 port you already know that there’s a lot of stuff out there that does not work with it. There’s not much margin in this case. Add noise or a ground offset and things get messy.

Bob