[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361 GPSDO arrived today several questions

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Nov 8 13:44:11 EST 2014

Hi

There are a wide range of chips you can use for “proper” RS-422. There are also a range of USB RS-422 adapters for < $25. I would investigate the adapters, starting with cheap ones that claim FTDI chips inside. I’d also look for a claim of Windows 8 drivers. That’s  not so much because I *use* Windows 8, but because it implies they have checked in on a modern OS.

The adapters I’m using are 12V powered RS-422 to RS-232 converters that I’ve had forever and ever. I probably got them on eBay a few centuries ago. Mated up with generic 232 to USB converters they seem to work just fine for what I’m doing.

One very real question - do you *need* to talk to the box? About 99.9% of the time in my setup, the answer is no. Check the LED’s, make sure all is fine, move on. The serial cable is just one more ground loop to worry about. Checking it when you fire it up for the first time - sure, you need to do that. Stewart’s approach works *fine* for doing that. It’s also ok for a check once every six months to a year to see if the beast is happy or not.

If you are going with a home built converter, start with the FTDI cables from Mouser. Either:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FTDI/TTL-232R-5V/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuGxYVy11yKKrDbHO9RZyo6Pg7KqAgrCmE%3d

or it’s wire lead cousin. Both are $20. Both are legit FTDI gear. Yes you can get similar stuff on eBay for about half the price. Who knows which chip is in what in that case.

Either a perf board and DIP parts or a $2 custom pc board (1” square is *plenty*) and SMT’s will give you a fine home-brew RS-422 converter. When you are not using it for RS-422, unplug the board and use the adapter for other stuff. Maybe make a 485 and a 232 adapter as well. All the plugin boards and parts probably won’t double the total project cost over just buying the cable.

————

I’m not at all sure I should bring this up, but there *is* a pps on the output of the KS-24361. If one wished, they could do a board that did 422 to 232 and put the PPS on some pin that a NTP driver might be happy with. The whole NTP driver / GPS time offset / Leap second issue is one we have spent a lot of time on. I might  also could convert the pps to CMOS logic and hook that up to a coax connector. If you did NTP  then serial would be a full time sort of thing.

My guess is that you would eventually go to some sort of pc board to get at the PPS, NTP or not. Do you pull it off the interface connector (and maybe grab the GPS data as well?). Do you get it from the PPS/RS-422 connector and keep things isolated?

Lots to think about. Lots of choices. No one one size fits all solution.

Bob