[time-nuts] future NTP programs...

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Nov 11 03:32:29 EST 2014

--------
In message <54615794.3040700 at rubidium.dyndns.org>, Magnus Danielson writes:

>I'm just saying that the NTP processing and the NTP monitoring may not
>need to run by the same daemon necessarily.

As the Varnish architecture shows, I'm fully in agreement with this.

I should also add that one of the reasons I don't like the control
mode packets is that they are complex.

I have no issues with handling the standard 48 byte fixed format,
no strings NTP timing packets in a root-process, but in todays
environment it would not be OK to design a daemon which handles
the crypto stuff or the control packets in a root-process, those
should go in a sandbox.