[time-nuts] Electrolytic Capacitor Redux

Perry Sandeen sandeenpa at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 12 17:53:34 EST 2014

List,

Thanks to all for their comments.

Wrote: The high grade aluminum electrolytics and the
tantalums will look quite different on a network analyzer as you sweep them
from 100 KHz up.

OK. Since these of just being used for DC PS bypassing on
individual boards I think I’ll be OK with the Panasonic electrolytics.

Wrote: Take a look at the Aluminum Organic Polymer
Electrolytics. Available in 105 °C and 125 °C. They have very low ESRs. In the
milliohms.

Yowza! Excellent specs but they cost more than tantalums

Wrote: bought Vishay/Sprague caps.

I looked at what Mouser stocked but they don’t match the
capacitance values I need.

My goal when it comes to huge uF caps HP uses in their PS’s
is to find a kind of common(s) denominator so I can get the +10 prices. So some
of my equipment my get a higher capacity and/or voltage than the OEM version.

One thing I’m not going to do is use the OEM screw terminal
caps because of their price. Instead I’m going to use the snap-in style and
mount them using #16 solid copper wire.

I checked the HP 3586 PS schematic and the are specing 40
micro-volts ripple before the regulators. Tight!

Regards,

Perrier
SandeenpaXXatXXyahoo.com.