[time-nuts] Divide by five

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Nov 12 21:20:46 EST 2014

Hi
> On Nov 12, 2014, at 5:24 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>
> --------
> In message <54614A56.4010904 at rubidium.dyndns.org>, Magnus Danielson writes:
>
>>> There used to be an academic paper on timing.com's home-page about
>>> their clock-ensemble algorithm called something like "Advances in
>>> Time-Scale Algorithms".
>>
>> PTTI 24, Sam Steins work:
>> http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ptti/1992papers/Vol%2024_28.pdf

There are a raft of papers from the 60’s and 70’s talking about the paper clocks and their initial efforts to turn them into software versions of the paper tables.

> There you go...
>
>> I've long toyed with the idea of building ensemble clock, but never got
>> around to it.
>
> I did some experiments based on that timing.com paper, but didn't
> really have enough clocks for it to be worthwhile, and the cooling
> in my lap couldn't cope with me turning so much kit on at the same
> time during summer.

It has occurred to me that running 100 Rubidiums at 15W each might get the electric meter spinning a bit fast.  It’s also not really very clear how to test the result without building two or three of them. Keeping three batches of 100 Rb’s from talking to each other on a thermal basis might be even more difficult than the basic issues around a 4.5KW load plus cooling 24 hours a day.

Lots to think about.

Bob