[time-nuts] Ebay KS-24361 may be gone. I emailed ASI to confirm.

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Nov 17 10:49:05 EST 2014

Hi

For what ever reason, the one seller no longer is listing the GPS only units. My guess:

These were spares sitting in some depot in Atlanta for 15 years. Maybe 15 of the Ref-0’s died in the field and got replaced over the 15 years. Only 3 of the Ref-1’s died. Thus they had more Ref 1’s in the depot. That seems odd. A better guess is that when a REF-1 died, it looked like both units were defective and the pair got swapped. Either way the surplus lot had a few extra Ref 1’s in it.

I don’t think the people selling these know much about them and how the two boxes do or do not work together. They are just boxes in the front door that they need to push out the back door. No more un-matched pairs, no more Ref-0’s for sale.

No, it’s not the way any of us would do it. We understand a lot more about the relative value of the two boxes. That said, it’s still a good deal at $150 for the pair. I’m pretty sure at this point that getting the Ref-0 running as a standalone GPSDO running a modern GPS module is *way* cheaper (and less work) than any of the home built GPSDO projects. I’m quite sure that the enhanced Ref-0 would work as well as and likely better than the Ref-1 does. It also would have a handy 10 MHz output if you didn’t want to modify the 15 MHz output.

Bob