[time-nuts] z3816 what happened?

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 15:31:56 EST 2014

Thats because everything is supr-dupr secret in them. I have a mighty
seriously dead z3801. I picked up for $ zip. Well fact is its still mighty
dead. :-)
I am generally pretty good at reverse engineering. But when it goes in the
micro or asics or fpga's. Life gets near impossible especially with out
anything but your eyeballs.
But my interest in the dead one was to explore. Have to say the dual ovens
well done but what an ungodly mess. The insulation stuff gets sticky like
tar after years.
The Z3801s issue was however in one of the ASICs. Such is life.
Yes you do need satstat at least or the z38xx program from germany. Its
free and at least would give you a clue.

If you are lucky the DAC is at the top or bottom of its range that happens.
You need to take the oven apart and adjust the course frequency.
Ugly issues
Taking the oven apart, ultimately putting it back together
Adjusting teh cap. Since it has not been moved in 20 years you can be sure
its going to go noisey on you.
Then you have to adjust to get the DAC back to mid range. Patience.

Regards
Paul
WB8TSL