[time-nuts] RFTG-u REF 0 Z3812 as cleanup module for FEI5680A

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Nov 19 19:29:55 EST 2014

HI

For anything short of microwave multiplication, the 15 MHz output of the Z3810/11/12 is likely to be “good enough”. The 60 KHz noise hump that may be from the power brick isn’t going to make it through a PLL going to VHF, so the only benefit of pulling the brick would be some sort of SDR running directly off of 15 MHz. A crystal bandpass filter at 15 MHz could be made (or found) in that case. The brick probably does a better job rejecting  the 50/60 Hz stuff you would get into with a direct supply setup.

So let’s see … Nyquist at 7.5 MHz. 1/2 band at 3.75 MHz. You could have a real good radio from maybe 4 MHz on down to DC. That might be interesting, but it’s probably not going to get a lot more people buying these up to do it.

Bob