[time-nuts] Practical considerations making a lab standard with an LTE lite

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Nov 23 09:45:04 EST 2014

Hi

If you have a basement in your house / building

—and —

it’s dry and reasonably draft free (no garage doors opening up from time to time)

— and —

At least one side / corner is well buried in the ground

— and —

You can get at that corner / side.

Move your thermal baffle gizmo up against that wall, move it into that corner. There is a lot more mass in the foundation of a building than anything you would want to lug around for a project. You still need to handle the issues on at least half the surface, that should be less trouble than doing the whole thing.

There is another subtle advantage to this approach. The standard is out of the way. It’s not in the middle of the lab. It does not get bumped. It does not get sparked (unless you have full ESD protection in the lab …). It’s less likely to have random power cycle events due to cords being accidentally pulled. Even second order stuff related to ground loops from connecting and disconnecting cables may be reduced.  “Just leave it alone” is much easier to do when the gizmo is surrounded by a pile of bricks.

With a GPSDO, you don’t care (much) about the environmental  swings from week to week or month to month. The GPS will take care of that. What you care about are the hour to hour or minute to minute  movements. Those are the ones that the filter on an OCXO based unit will struggle with.  Hotter in the summer / colder in the winter is not as big a deal as “cold when I come  in / hot after I turn everything on”.

One practical hint if you do try this:

Put a cheap plastic bag around the gizmo and tape it up. It discourages the bug colonies. I have empirical evidence that this is a good idea ...

Bob