[time-nuts] Practical considerations making a lab standard with an LTE lite

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sun Nov 23 11:46:24 EST 2014

On 23 Nov 2014 14:45, "Bob Camp" <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> If you have a basement in your house / building

I do not.

> —and —

> it’s dry and reasonably draft free (no garage doors opening up from time
to time)

My lab is a room which is part of the garage! Just about everything is
against me with this method,  BUT you do give me an idea...

You got me thinking about the possibility of actually mounting the TCXO
burried in the ground!   The temperature of that is not going to change
very rapidly.

FWIW, I know a guy that did work as an air conditioning engineer,, but now
works for a company selling geothermal heating.  He installs  ground source
heat pumps for the geothermal energy.  He says that they actually work
quite poorly in many cases. In a couple of years the temperature of the
ground falls as the heat is extracted faster than it replenishes.  So the
efficiency falls off. I don't think that the TCXO would heat the ground
faster than it dissipates away.

Of course there would be some practical issues burying the TCXO, but those
would not be insurmountable ones. I have no idea what depth might be
needed.

My wife thinks thinks I am a nutcase - that would only confirm it to her!

Dave, G8WRB