[time-nuts] Low Additive Phase Noise 10 MHz Amps

Bill bill at hsmicrowave.com
Sun Nov 23 22:50:07 EST 2014

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your comments.

The devices in my lab that can benefit from the low phase 10 MHz source are 1) the spectrum analyzer(s), 2) a  Comstron direct synthesizer, 3) the synthesized signal generators and the test source(s) used to drive microwave multipliers and signal sources. All these devices will see the 10 MHz phase noise (improvements) within the narrowest PLL the devices use.

After spending "bucks" for a low noise 10 MHz source, I can't afford to use one for each instrument. Besides it would hurt to go through the trouble of buying a low phase noise 10 MHz reference and lose it in a poor distribution amplifier(s). Also, the advantages of running all instruments from the same 10 MHz source are well known.

So while I was hoping to short circuit some of the design/prototyping effort in the hopes someone on this thread had been there,  I'll just "hit the books" and do some prototyping and noise testing and see what I come up with.

Regards...Bill