[time-nuts] lightening protection of a GPSDO system / optical isolated distribution amp

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 20:02:54 EST 2014

You really do have to bond the two of them.  The VERY best way is to dig a
trench all the way around the building and install a loop of wire, #8 at
least (although I use much larger wire after the time and money to dug a
trench.)  This wire connects the rods and the water system.  While a full
loop is best yo can simply run a wire to the building's service entrance
but I think code requires these wires to be "protected" by any of several
methods.

You have to connect the grounds because otherwire you have a problem where
indoors there are two different ground potentials.  The Earth is just that
way, there is or may be a voltage potential between two spots.  There WILL
be a difference during a lightening strike.

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> albertson.chris at gmail.com said:
> > The ground rod needs to be bonded to the rest of the building ground
> system.
>
> How do I do that effectively if the power goes in the front of the building
> and the antenna is on the back?
>

> --
> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

Chris Albertson