[time-nuts] lightening protection of a GPSDO system / optical isolated distribution amp

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 20:14:17 EST 2014

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 3:10 PM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) <
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:

> On 26 November 2014 at 22:14, Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > You CAN (almost) lightening proof your system.
>
> BUT if the almost is not quite enough, one could damage a lot of
> expensive test kit.

You can never be 100% but you can be nearly 100%.

The minimum is to follow the electrical code.  That might cost $40 in
materials for a single story house.  They allow bare aluminum grounding
wire which really reduces the cost.

After this minimum you have th think about the probability of a strike.  If
you live in Orlando Florida then it might be 100% and nearly zero in other
places and then you ask what the radio equipment cost.   I paid $18 for  my
Motorola Encore GPS receiver.

The iron pipe mast if it also provides a good path to ground will take
almost all the current.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California