[time-nuts] HP10811 Double oven, oven jump?

dan at irtelemetrics.com dan at irtelemetrics.com
Wed Nov 26 22:53:48 EST 2014

     Hi Bob,

  Yeah it did. This is running as part of one of Bob Stewart's GPSDO's.
It's been up for about two weeks now. The log indicated there was a
phase jump compared to the GPS PPS input. EFC made a jump to correct
for it. A few hours later, it made a small jump back in the other
direction, with a corresponding phase and EFC correction there also. By
the phase jump, I would have though it was the crystal doing something.
But the fact that it showed up in the oven monitor voltage also has me
a bit worried.

  The outer oven controller didn't show anything similar.

  I've been wracking my brain about what could be causing this. It's
way to sudden to be anything one would expect from a normal analog
circuit. The room temp cycles are visible, but are nice and smooth
compared to this. It makes me think there is something mechanical going
on.

  Who knows, maybe the crystal changing affects power dissipation from
the oven? Still trying to figure out exactly how much of a change in
oven power this is, but I suspect it's very small. With the three
transistors in darlington and 100K resistor feeding the base, a 1mV
change on the inner oven controller differential amp would indeed be a
small change.

  I was thinking, I also need to rule out the power supply. But, I need
to setup a voltage divider to get that to within the ADC input range...

  Dan