[time-nuts] Minicircuits specs

Dave M dgminala at mediacombb.net
Sat Nov 29 10:24:36 EST 2014

Charles Steinmetz wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>
>> My past experience with Minicircuits is that they will not give you
>> any data the "extends" the spec on a part. Simply put - if you are
>> after 1 MHz data on a part that stops at 10, they are not likely to
>> supply it.
>
> I've had better luck getting data from them that is just not stated
> (as opposed to being outside a stated spec) -- for example, the
> nominal inductance of windings.  I suspect the same might be true if
> someone asked, "What exactly do you mean by 'DC: 30mA?' "  You
> probably wouldn't get hard data or graphs, but they might give you an
> idea of how they arrived at that spec.
>
> In the end, though, the only way to be sure a certain part will work
> in any particular circuit is to build and test it.
>
> Don't forget, you can generally keep DC out of transformer windings
> with shunt coupling (use an RF choke for the DC path, and capacitor
> couple into the transformer winding).  It's an unwanted complexity,
> but some builders may prefer it to winding their own transformers.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Charles

Yeah, that's a good way to completely avoid the issue.  Since I'm the only
target audience for my efforts, then I don't mind the extra components.  I'm
beginning to realize, as I get deeper into building my own stuff, that a VNA
is quite a desireable piece of equipment.  Unfortunately, I'll have to make
use of my spectrum analyzer and RLC meters instead.

Thanks for the responses.
Dave M