[time-nuts] Lightning arrestors for GPSDO antenna

Dave M dgminala at mediacombb.net
Thu Oct 16 22:51:09 EDT 2014

Thanks, Chris.
I've done a bit or research on the subject, and think I have a reasonable
grip on the necessary steps.  I have an 8' ground rod driven into the ground
directly under the spot where my antennas mount.  #6 solid copper from the
rod to a heavy aluminum plate, where the arrestors will be mounted.  A #6
solid copper wire from the plate to the antenna mounting structure.
I will also have an arrestor at the antenna input of each GPSDO unit, which
will be mounted on a 2" wide copper strap, which will be then run to the
outside ground rod with a doubled 1" wide copper braid.
I realize that extremely low ground resistance is fantastic, but I don't
have access to a ground resistance set, so I'll have to accept what I have
and accept the consequences if something happens.  A second ground rod isn't
out of the question, but will have to wait until my broken wrist heals so I
can swing a sledge hammer.

I'd still like to hear comments on the effectiveness of gas discharge type
arrestors.

A question has bothered me for a while, but can't find a definitive answer.
Should I enclose the antenna feedline in metal conduit or nonmetal conduit?
I've seen documents that state that metal conduit is the best way, and
others stating that metal conduit shouldn't be used     Anyone have a good
answer  (talking about antenna feedline; not the grounding wire)?

Thanks,
Dave M