[time-nuts] Fwd: Price of LTE Lite GPSDO vs Trimble Thunderbolt.

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Fri Oct 17 22:23:03 EDT 2014

Bob,

"Depending on surplus gear in a commercial system would be silly compared
to using newly manufactured parts."

You nailed it Bob, we wouldn't compare an old 2004 Porsche Cayenne one  can
now get for $5K with a new Tata car costing $6K either..

Both get you there for almost the same price even though the Porsche is
about 20x more expensive new, but you can't and shouldn't compare the
performance of the two. They were designed for two completely different
applications, and there is a reason why the Porsche (Thunderbolt) new is
significantly more expensive - it has significantly higher performance.

Its a silly comparison.

bye,
Said

<_time-nuts at febo.com_ (mailto:time-nuts at febo.com) >

Hi

The question on all of these  setups is very much - what do you need?

The  T-Bolt was designed to meet some very specific requirements. It’s got
an  OCXO onboard because of that.

A 48 hour  battery backed Rb does something very different, it’s got
different costs  associated with it.

A modern / up to date  TCXO based unit makes some compromises to trade off
against power and  size.

Depending on what your system needs  are, each of the first two may
uniquely fill a bill that the others will not  and can not. If you need to run 120
days on battery, the third will win the  contest easily. If you want to run
on something other than GPS, number 3 is  your choice.

Cost wise, it all depends on  when you bought what. I have Rb’s that cost
less than $40 and T-Bolts that  cost less than $100. You can still get
surplus T-Bolt like objects (OCXO  based surplus GPSDO’s) for under $130. I also
have some stuff I’ve bought on  eBay (and other surplus outlets) over the
years that turned out to be less  than perfect. Depending on surplus gear in a
commercial system would be  silly compared to using newly manufactured
parts. It all depends on what you  need.

Bob

On Oct 17, 2014, at 5:19 PM, paul swed  <_paulswedb at gmail.com_