[time-nuts] LTE-Lite module

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Oct 19 20:40:27 EDT 2014

Hi

We seem to have swung from “it’s impossible, don’t even try” to “it’s trivial, you should have it done in a few minutes”  :)  (Yes I know that’s *not* at all what was said in either case. We have swung a ways though)

Yes, I can do it for less than $1 in parts. That’s not to say it’s the *right* way to do it. Yes, I can have it “done" (locked up) in a few hours (from scratch, including the parts). That’s not to say you *should* do it that way. My way most certainly should not be your way. The stuff I have sitting around is not the stuff you have lying around. What I paid may not be what you pay.

We spend a lot of time playing “I can do it cheaper”. Unless a few months of your time *really* is worth $10, the “cheaper” part simply does not count past some point. The cost of even one meal out over several months will wipe out that advantage. Doing it with a part that is running a 10 bit ADC that really gives you 8 bit performance will indeed impact the result. It’s cheaper, but how much struggle will there be to make it work well? Will it add a month or three to the project? Will you start over from scratch? Who knows. Are we comparing a board anybody can get for < $15 to just the cpu on another board .. maybe we are. If what counts is a price that somebody got once, I have  boards that I got for free. Do they count as $0 in a project? There’s really no value even going down that road.

Each time this comes up on the list, we typically spend a month with everybody tossing up their favorite board. We each post several messages talking about the great deal we got. We never seem to get around to actually doing much with those cheap boards compared to the time everybody spends extolling their virtues (and ignoring their drawbacks). A $50 board is no different than a $1  board in this case. They both have near zero impact on the total investment in the project. If they did / do - buy a $135 OCXO based GPSDO rather than the $185 LTE board. That puts you $50 and months of your time ahead.

If you want to start from scratch and get a result that is “OCXO” caliber, it will take a while. 1x10^-10 is not your target. The LTE part pretty much does that. Your target is at least 1x10^-11 short term and much better a you go to a few hundred seconds. In order to say you have hit it, you need to test it and verify that you have hit it. No I can’t do a run that takes a month to verify a part I build in a short time.Nobody can do that, it takes time. No I don’t have a gizmo that’ stable to 1x10^-13 over a month sitting in the basement. If I already had that, why would I need to put an OCXO on a LTE board? I have to do some work simply to do the test (like build several and cross check them).

How much time does the testing take? You want something around 100 samples for a good ADEV number. You need data out to 1,000 seconds (and more likely 10,000 seconds) to check the loop out. Each run will be in the 1 to 10 days range. Once you have it “right” you really need to check it over a month or two to watch for GPS “once a day” issues. If you have a really good setup, you will get good data 4 runs out of 5. With a basement setup, that may drop to 2 in 5.

The job is not done once the first one is locked. That’s the quick and easy part. The full job is only done once you have it optimized and know you have done so from measured data. That’s true if you are making one, or making a few hundred thousand of them.

Bob