[time-nuts] GPS for ntp

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 21 02:55:17 EDT 2014

What does everyone think of this GPS module for ntp use? According to the
specsheet, it uses a Ublox Neo-7N.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RY725AI-10Hz-UART-USB-interface-GPS-Glonass-QZSS-antenna-module-flash-memory-/181562403752

I'm thinking about using it for a Beaglebone ntp server. I know there was
some discussion about Beaglebones a while back. Has anyone gotten ntpd with
PPS and time stamping running on a Beaglebone yet (like on the Soekris
Net4501)?
[]
I have one Beaglebone White that I got cheap, so I have something to get
started with. Later, as I figure out things, I'll buy a few Beaglebone
Blacks.

Joe Gray
W5JG

Joe,

You might also consider the Raspberry Pi as an NTP server using PPS:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html

You can get the ublox 7Q in a ready-to-go no=-soldering board here:

  http://ava.upuaut.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_60&product_id=95

I would reckon on sub-100 microsecond timing accuracy with the Raspberry Pi
and kernel-mode PPS, but I've not done any comparison with the BB.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk