[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361/Z3812A GPSDO initial setup

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Fri Oct 24 21:46:37 EDT 2014

Sorry if these comments are a bit naive, but this is my first exposure to a Z38xx.

I've got mine powered on and connected to the antenna.  After referring to Stewart's original post (once again) I've managed to download HP's SATSTAT and get it running.  When I connected to the REF-1 unit (with the receiver) all I get is comms errors.  But when I connect to REF-0, Satstat seems quite happy.  It's reporting the unit as a Z3812A.  Is REF-0 the only one you can connect to, or is REF-1 mute till it's happy with the GPS receiver?

The mode says "Power-Up: GPS Acquisition", so I guess that's OK.  I think things are progressing.  It's attempting to survey, but reporting "Suspended: poor geometry".  I suppose with a little more time this will work itself out?  It seems to be slowly tracking more sats, as it's now up to 5.
I wonder if there's a way to shortcut the survey process using Satstat?  I've got a 48 hour survey done on this antenna with the LEA-6T, so I should be able to input those figures, right?  I'll see if I can find anything in a Satstat manual I found.

Bob - AE6RV