[time-nuts] float chargers for oscillator backup power

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Sun Oct 26 14:13:54 EDT 2014

Hi:

The Gibbs 5 Mhz frequency standard used a two step power supply system.
http://prc68.com/I/office_equip.html
It uses a couple of series connected UA723 based power supplies. One to drop the AC line to 20 VDC to float charge 3
series connected 6 Volt (18 V total) lead acid batteries and the other to supply the double oven quartz oscillator that
used a Bailey glass bottle rock.  It's my understanding that this is a very quiet power supply.

It's fatal flaw was that the lead acid batteries were in the same rack mount box as the electronics and acid fumes
etched the traces off the circuit that was inside the oven.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com
http://www.prc68.com/I/DietNutrition.html