[time-nuts] Cheap Frequency chip with serial output

Giuseppe Marullo giuseppe at marullo.it
Sun Oct 26 17:50:33 EDT 2014

On 26/10/2014 17:49, Magnus Danielson wrote:
> Giuseppe,
> If you look at http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/FT102_user_VA3VFO.pdf
> you realize that the display is the result of a frequency counter
> being built in. You could either tap in and count yourself, or you
> could tap a whole number of other points depending on what you are after
Yes, but still I would need to tap into the band selector. If possible,
better read a meaningful frequency (again, if possible). Once I will go
for tapping the band selector, yes I could just use the input to the
frequency display( that is really a frequency counter, not like new
synthetized stuff).
> Love to get some serial interface into my IC-740, which is just a
> little too old for serial interfaces like the younger onces.
Well, use the ft-736 "emulator" approach, maybe your could be somewhat
driven. IC-740 sports digital VFOs and it is solid state so...have fun.

Being the FT-102 a tube radio, there is no way I will set the VFO using
a computer, like this:
http://www.sdr-kits.net/Webshop/products.php?34&cPath=6&osCsid=dug2k29uis64g4kgidd38kk9u3
I would need like 6 knobs/selectors to be turned from the
computer...could be a good robot project :)