[time-nuts] float chargers for oscillator backup power

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 20:30:26 EDT 2014

A very interesting subject. If I am not mistaken the HP CS battery backup
supplies use a charger and post regulator/inverter. The charger is well
designed but linear as I recall.  I have one in the basement with 2 X 28
Amp hour SLA batteries. Purchased new. I screwed around with flea market
duds. You get what you pay for as is always the case.

This has been working very nicely for years and the only thing I have had
to do was change the battery set after 7 years. This sets now on year 2.
However its somewhat of a power wasting unit and I suspect the discussion
of this thread could result in a more efficient float charge method. The HP
uses a transformer on the input.

Regards
Paul
WB8TSL