[time-nuts] 10MHz Rubidium reference source for frequency counter

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Oct 31 22:12:43 EDT 2014

Hi

Unless the OCXO’s you have are broken, there is something wrong with your measurement. I have bought enough broken OCXO’s to know that you can get quite a few bad ones for every good one you find.

The CNT counters are good instruments. They will do about as well as any frequency counter out there. They will not get to 1.0 x 10^-12 at one second. Depending on your signals and your setup, they may not get much past 1.0 x 10^-10 at one second. One of the things that will drive them a bit nuts are sub-harmonics. If your OCXO’s are 5 MHz doubled to 10 MHz, they will have sub-harmonics (5 MHz, 15 MHz, 25 MHz etc). These “extra” signals are not what the counter is expecting to see on a 10 MHz signal.

Since your measurements are different for each OCXO, and go down by square root of tau, it’s got to be something unusual. The interaction of sub-harmonics with the CNT series frequency approximation algorithm may be it.

Bob