[time-nuts] Need help with transformer core

Chris syseng.greenfield at btconnect.com
Mon Sep 1 18:54:38 EDT 2014

> Thanks for the inputs everyone,
>
> One of the direct replies got me the data I needed!
>
> Alex, I'd like to by it that way, but A 24VDC input 3700VDC output at 4ma
> does not seem to be available!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Corby

Hi Corby,

The way I would approach the problem would be not ask where to get a
given pot core, but how do I generate 3700v @ 4mA, starting from
scratch. I would limit the secondary winding count and use a voltage
multiplier, Cockroft-Walton style to bring the volts up to the required
level. 22w is not an insignificant power level, so I would use a switch
mode regulator chip, driving a pair of small power mosfets, with a
switching frequency 100KHz or higher to keep the magnetics, winding
turns count and the multiplier (Use polypropylene) caps small. Lower
voltage at the secondary also makes it easier in terms of rectifier
diode selection. All the info is in the chip manufacturers application
notes. and suggest Unitrode as a starting point. Have done a few of
these in the past and they are pretty strightforward. Even the magnetics
are covered by the core manufacturers data books. A pair of small E
cores sounds sounds about right and will have matching moulded bobbin
options with tags. Pot cores are a pita in comparison and awkward to
wind / terminate using foil, which you really need when a primary
winding may only have 4 to 8 turns, yet be carrying amps.

The other point is that I would never use any switcher, however good
it's claimed to be, to drive sensitive analog electronics. While many of
the cheap switcher modules are fine with stable line and load, the
transient response ids often dreadful and they take some time
(milliseconds) to recover with step function change at either. Such
instability can damage driven electronics as well. While it's common to
use a switcher for initial conversion, that would always be followed by
monolithic linear regulators, which typically have output noise levels
of mV. For example, say you have an input voltage of 18-32v and a
required output of 12v at 1A, an initial switch mode regulator to
convert to 15v, then even a 7812 or similar to lose the final 3 volts...

Regards,

Chris