[time-nuts] Need help with transformer core

Alexander Pummer alexpcs at ieee.org
Mon Sep 1 23:42:15 EDT 2014

forward converter [not fly -back]
look for pot-cores material 3C80, 3C81, 3C85 or equivalent, you will
need  a cca 21 to 28mm dia pot-core if you run it at 80 to 120kHz,
driver ic TL495 , which is a PWM push pull controller
estimate the efficiency for 60% for the input power, look for very good
and large 10Megohm resistors you wil nee four of them 3700V/01mA = 37
Meg ohm, the must be temperature stable and must be able to carry 1000V
each, you need a high quality resistor for the bottom part of the
feedback divider same sort as the 10Megohms  value cca 57k use 56k + an
1k pot.
Philips has fast high voltage rectifiers you need some with very short
recovery time
how to design a transformer:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mag-inc.com%2FFile%2520Library%2FProduct%2520Literature%2FFerrite%2520Literature%2FMagneticsFerritePowerDesign2013.pdf&ei=RTUFVOKzIMn3igLAoYGgBQ&usg=AFQjCNE63ziQj-MYzYmYzNfLrHThFJu1lg&bvm=bv.74115972,d.cGE

a more elegant way is a resonant converter, less noise, less
complicated  high voltage transformer, and the recovery time is not so
critical,  but that is for more experienced DIY people
73
Alex