[time-nuts] Help understanding an ADEV

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Sep 11 07:10:44 EDT 2014

Hi

The plot pretty much confirms what you already know - there is a noise spectrum and it’s not what you want to have. In a closed loop system, it’s all going to add up. The big unknown is - do you get noise out of the DAC trying to correct the OCXO’s noise or just noise out of the DAC? Is the DAC noise from the DAC it’s self or from the loop?

One source of noise is the LSB on the DAC. If you have a 1 ppm EFC and a 1x10^-12 OCXO and a 1 LSB change at 1 second (yes that’s a lot …) - That’s a 1x10^6 delta, you must have a ~20 bit DAC. If you have 1x10^-8 out of your GPS,  your loop (or filter) must have a 10,000:1 attenuation at 1 Hz. That’s 80 db. If you have a simple loop, you get 20 db / decade. That would put your tau below 0.0001 Hz.

Yes those are fast and simple numbers. The real stuff has a lot more if’s and’s and but’s in it.

Simple way to check things:

1) Do an ADEV on the OCXO + EFC and make sure it looks right outside the loop.
2) Do an ADEV on your GPS and figure out where it’s at.
3) Consider checking the noise in the frequency domain, it’s easier to understand.

So much fun.

Bob