[time-nuts] Correcting jitter on the 1 PPS signal fromaGPSreceiver.

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sun Sep 14 11:01:27 EDT 2014

Pete,

I have not measured the Resolution-T clock frequency. Be aware that the 1PPS timing spec in the data sheet (e.g., N ns from UTC) is not related to the CPU clock frequency.

The CPU clock is directly related to the range of the sawtooth corrections, by the very definition of "quantization". Some receivers use both edges of the clock so you have to be careful about guessing clock rate from sawtooth range alone.

To give you a feel for Resolution-T sawtooth correction here's a histogram:
http://leapsecond.com/pages/res-t/res-t-saw.gif
25,000 sample raw data for the plot:
http://leapsecond.com/pages/res-t/res-t-saw.txt

The standard deviation is 11.7 ns. Depending on how you measure, the range is 36 or 44 ns. Note the mean is about 2 ns (not 0). I'm curious if your Res-T looks the same as mine.

More sawtooth examples:
http://leapsecond.com/pages/MG1613S/
http://leapsecond.com/pages/vp/sawtooth.htm
http://leapsecond.com/pages/m12/sawtooth.htm