[time-nuts] NAA experiments as a reference

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Sep 14 11:23:09 EDT 2014

Hi

Remember that one model for FSK is a pair of AM signals that “just happen” to represent an FSK waveform. With normal FSK if you tune to one side, you will get a nice AM carrier and sidebands. With MSK it’s a bit more complex since they to do some cute stuff to cut down the bandwidth. It’s still got a pair of spikes in the spectrum at the upper and lower shift frequencies.

Probably the best way to get a timing signal is to recover the modulation and then “subtract” it from the original in software. That would be crazy with a high speed signal. With something like this - a pc plus  sound card probably can do the job. More or less - “that must have been a 1 = do this to the history buffer, that must have been a zero = do that to the history buffer”. You would need to know a bit about how they filter their data stream for it to work well.  The “proof” that you had it right would be a nice clean sine wave communing out of the history buffer. Spit it out the audio output port on the sound card and take a look …..

No I haven’t thought real hard about all the implications of doing that, there might be a gotcha in there somewhere. I’m assuming that they have a pretty predictable clock on their data. Beyond that I don’t think there are any other weird assumptions. I’d probably do the “de-fsk” by a phase modulation on the buffer. There might be a practical bump in the road there.

Bob