[time-nuts] Correcting jitter on the 1 PPS signalfrom a GPS receiver.

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Mon Sep 15 14:14:13 EDT 2014

Hi Dave,

what you are describing is reflected wave switching, which works perfectly
in applications such as the PCI bus. The PCI bus uses it because it  lends
itself to extremely low power consumption.

Your scenario does not work with end-termination either if you have
multiple taps, because the taps would have to a) have very  high impedance so as
not to disturb the signal traveling down the pipe, and  b) not have any cable
length associated with them so as to prevent the edge  going down into the
stub and reflecting back from it, and the stub causing a 25  Ohms impedance
drop (due to two 50 Ohms transmission lines in parallel).

With the rise-times of sub 1ns (the CSAC GPSDO has a rise and fall time of
<500ps typically) any cable length becomes an issue, including the couple
of  inches of wiring inside the counter and through the T-splitter etc.
Another  issue is that the timing of the instruments would be all off because of
the  differing propagation delays through the additional cable.

So in the end-terminated world having a stub would only work if the stub
does not have any cable length associated with it and very high impedance.
How  many folks distribute their 1PPS signal through a single coax cable to
multiple  instruments? This should be done through a 1PPS distribution amp.

I agree though that in the analog video world you don't want reflections
due to even small impedance mismatches because they cause ghosting. In the
digital world where all we care about is that one single rising edge per
second ghosting is not an issue.

My original point was that the video world got it right: use a 75 Ohms
output impedance for a 75 Ohms coax. The 1PPS world did not get it right by
driving a 50 Ohms coax with a 10 Ohms output impedance.

Bye,
Said

In a message dated 9/15/2014 10:43:24 Pacific Daylight Time,