[time-nuts] Mailing lists status report

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Sep 15 21:11:46 EDT 2014

We've been on the new version of Mailman for a couple of weeks now.  The
main reason for the update was to work around the "DMARC" adoption by
Yahoo, AOL, and other large ISPs that broke the mailing list model.

That seems to be working now.  I'll spare the technical details (you can
read about it at http://www.febo.com/dmarc.html) but you may notice that
some messages show the "From" line as "Al Smith via time-nuts" instead
of the normal address.  Those messages are from users with AOL, Yahoo,
and other addresses that enforce DMARC.  We rewrite the "From" address
to avoid that issue.  Other addresses are unaffected.

Overall, this seems to be working well, and it's once again safe for
Yahoo and AOL users to subscribe to the list.

However, there is one after-effect that we haven't (yet) been able to
resolve.  Due to updates in some of the system libraries that Mailman
uses, the text formatting of some messages has changed.  Instead of
being formatted in plain ASCII, they are now encoded in base64 format.
Unfortunately, some folks see messed up formatting in those messages.

It appears that Eudora has this problem; it doesn't handle base64
properly.  I'm not aware of other mail readers being affected.  I'd love
to fix this problem, but at this point I just don't know how.  Sorry for
the inconvenience to those users.

John