[time-nuts] Thunderbolt Rollover

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Sep 17 10:44:25 EDT 2014

Matthias,

I don't think you can use a GPS almanac from 2012.

Let me know what format you're using (Yuma, SEM, SP3, RINEX nav). The two fields, TOA (Time of Applicability) and GPS week, need to be consistent with the fake futuristic UTC date that you plug into the simulator. Otherwise the receiver discards this almanac/ephemeris data as being out of date. It is odd the simulator doesn't take care of this automatically. Contact me off-list with details.

Ask Mark to send you a beta version of LH and you can test it for him.

Also, with or without the fix to LH, it would be cool if you could verify that the Thunderbolt itself is fine, both July 30, 2017 (Trimble TBolt rollover) and March 31, 2019 (next GPS rollover). By fine, I mean the 1PPS and the 10 MHz outputs don't skip a beat. I suspect, like most GPSDO, it will continue to work perfectly. But it's nice to get confirmation.

Thanks,
/tvb

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthias Jelen" <Matthias.Jelen at gmx.de>
To: "Tom Van Baak" <tvb at leapsecond.com>; "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement" <time-nuts at febo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:52 PM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Thunderbolt Rollover

Hi Tom,

I didn´t save the output, but the generator is located on my
workbench, so it´s no problem to repeat this experiment at
any time.

But I´m afraid it´s a bit more complicated. I need to
specify a almanac file on the simulator. Stored was a file
from 2012 which was shown to be valid for a month or so.
When I put the date in that region, I got a fix almost
immediately. The manual says that those almanac files are
available on the internet, and ideed I found the current
almanac. But I have no clue yet how to generate a valid
signal for a time in the future. Putting the date far out of
that region lead to a loss of the fix, no matter if before
or after 2017.

I don´t know to much about the GPS system, but I assume that
the week number and TOW are "broadcasted" by all satellites
and can be decoded without valid almanac data. The date in
the 0x8F-AB data packet was set to the expected date in the
past which seemed to be good news for me.

So the only way to be really sure would be to see a real fix
with the date in the future. I´ll have a second and a third
look in the manual and web, and if this doesn´t help I´ll
try to get in touch with one of the experts from the
department which developed that box - they should know if
and how this is possible...

I´ve seen that LH sources are available, but I´m afraid that
my C++ knowledge is by far not sufficient to dig into this :-)

Let me know if a copy of the TSIP packages is helpfull for
you, even without a fix.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Regards,

Matthias