[time-nuts] Any simple way to get 200 MHz from 10 MHz?

ed breya eb at telight.com
Sun Sep 28 14:56:04 EDT 2014

The best solution depends on the situation. Is this to build into the
unit? Is it to be permanently applied? Is a DIY solution acceptable,
and if so, at what level of complexity?

If you happen to have a synthesized VHF generator, just run it from
the same reference and set for 200 MHz - you'll already know the
specs too. If you don't have one, or need one to permanently commit,
you may be able to find a used one fairly cheaply, especially since
you don't need high setting resolution. For example, a Wavetek 3000
or 3001 may be sufficient - I have a few of these units, and have
never paid more than US$20 for one.

If you end up wanting or having to go DIY, then I'd recommend
building a VCXO with a 200 MHz crystal, then PLL or injection lock it
to the reference. If you choose to multiply up instead, there will be
a lot of RF filtering needed to get rid of the intermediate spurs, so
I'd recommend having at least one crystal filter stage in there
somewhere. Either way, a crystal should be involved.

A good example of a 100 MHz PLXO is in the HP8566A/B - it is locked
to the 10 MHz OCXO, and runs pretty much everything in the
instrument. It wouldn't be too big of a stretch to make one for 200 MHz.

Ed