[time-nuts] What sort of oscillator is this?

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sun Sep 28 20:42:58 EDT 2014

On 29 Sep 2014 00:27, "Tom Van Baak" <tvb at leapsecond.com> wrote:

> The next clue is the attached photo found at:
>
> "Agilent 08753-60158 Opt. 1D5 for 8753D/E/ES"
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/151256172424

Note that is for an 8753 (3/6 GHz) series VNA, not the 8719/20/22, which
are 13.5, 20 and 40 GHz respectively.
I am on my mobile phone at the minute, but if the specs of the 8753 and
8720 series oscillators are the same, then perhaps they are the same
oscillator.
There's more chance of finding out from the Keysight forum information
about the 8753s, as Joel Dunsmore, is very active on the forums and was one
of the designers of the 8753.

But I am not aware of any individual who designed the 8720 series. Being a
lot less popular than the 8753s,  there's generally less public information
about the 8720 series.

The 8753 and 8720 were made in the same factory, look similar and have
firmware which looks similar,  so it would not surprise me if they use the
same oscillator.

When I am in front of a computer with a decent size screen,  I will compare
the specs of the oscillators in the two units, but with only a mobile phone
to hand, I will not do it now.

Dave