[time-nuts] GPS-disciplining an ordinary VCXO?

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Mon Sep 29 16:11:39 EDT 2014

Mark,

typical GPS receivers do not lock their crystal to anything, they just use
a free-running one. Please search the archives for "TVB hanging bridges"
discussions to get good details on that phenomenon. The Trimble Thunderbolt
is  one example of a unit that does lock its oscillator to the GPS system as
discussed here before also.

Yes, the Ettus B200 has a GPSDO in it that I am familiar with,  and that
one has an OCXO. Looks like they are using a 4KHz loop BW on  that Ettus
schematic. As discussed before if you want to use something as noisy  as a NEO
10MHz output you will want a loop bandwidth smaller than 1Hz. Heck I  would
not be surprised if the Analog Devices PLL cannot even lock properly to  the
NEO 10MHz output reference due to all that phase jumping.

At this point I would suggest for you to try out stuff, see where it leads
you, then report your results here so we can try to point you in one
direction  or another and try to offer our help..

Bye,
Said

In a message dated 9/29/2014 12:54:52 Pacific Daylight Time,