[time-nuts] GPS-disciplining an ordinary VCXO?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 16:23:44 EDT 2014

> Nowadays you can get a great 10MHz OCXO on Ebay for $10, buy a
> PLD/FPGA/Micro eval board for less than $30, and add a DAC and some
> low-pass  filtering
> and voltage reference for probably less than $10. So you can do a
> complete, high-end double-oven GPSDO for around $50.. Adding the Crystek
> VCXO  onto....

If you are thinking of using a VCXO then you are not thinking of building a
high-end GPSDO.   This means you can use cheaper parts all around.  A $2
micro processor and you can use the ADC and DAC that is built into the
micro controller.  There was a schematic posted here some time ago.  I got
it and was able to build a GPSDO for under $8 total.  The trick is to do
everything with the uP.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California