[time-nuts] Modern HW replacement for ATOM based NTP server?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Apr 8 01:48:29 EDT 2015

> "Problematic" if you are after microsecond-level accuracy, perhaps, but so
> would the BeagleBone be.  If your needs are more in the 100 microsecond
> range, either would be fine with a reasonably wide PPS pulse.

Not really. If you know how to write C, you can use the
timer on the BBB and get to sub-us accuracy levels (IIRC ~10ns).
The biggest problem would be to get the data into ntp
in the right way, as I am not sure whether ntp supports
that kind of input. But I know at least someone working
on this.

The rpi has, AFAIK, no timer units

Attila Kinali

Of course, using special software you can achieve better, but you aren't
going to get 10 ns accuracy over Ethernet when using the device as an NTP
server, which was the original request.  I wonder what accuracy the OP
requires?

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu