[time-nuts] Ultra High Stability Time Base Options for 53132A

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Apr 12 21:30:12 EDT 2015

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 16:48:37 -0700
"Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard at karlquist.com> wrote:

> Of course you're right, any comparator will add jitter to a 10811.
> The faster they are, the more jitter they add.

It might be that I'm already too sleepy, but I don't see why
a faster comparator would add more jitter. Actually, my intuition
(which is clearly wrong) would say the contrary. So, which effect
does increase the jitter with comparator speed?

> I noticed that the standard 10 MHz oscillator is built with
> an ECL line receiver.  Another example of Menken's saying.
> This is a TERRIBLE oscillator design, but one that would appeal
> to the non-initiated.

Well, for that you'd need to understand what an oscillator
actually is and how it works. The knowledge of that is
hardly taught anymore. And those people who know how to
properly design an oscillator are either nearing retirement
or are already retired.

BTW: If anyone here has any good text to read on oscillator design,
please let me know. I'm collecting those :-)

			Attila Kinali

--
< _av500_> phd is easy
< _av500_> getting dsl is hard